RSS

No Cure For Music Addiction

I love music. My father's a musician, my mom can play the guitar and my brother has a great voice like the ones from Boyce Avenue. When I was young I would always go to my dad's gigs along with my mom and brother. I didn't really understand music at that time and I just danced playfully. But then again I was kind of boyish and preferred to play with the guys.


I was grade 1 I think when I first joined the singing contest. I wasn't nervous, I was excited. I forgot what song I sang but I remember it was a Filipino song that was cute and funny that my mom taught me the moves while my dad taught me how to sing it. I won 2nd place. The 1st placer was a tough one to beat and she's been ahead of me for a long time. They call her the Black Stallion. She wasn't only good in singing but in other competitions such as story telling and declamation as well. I stuck to my singing. I only won 1st place once and I forgot what I sang. The Black Stallion had to migrate to US which leaves me a wide opportunity for fame. I lost my passion for singing since I always end up destroying one note as I sing on stage so I tried other contests where I reigned :) But still I wanted to sing. I auditioned once when I was 2nd year but I chickened out because I kept thinking what if I get one note wrong again. That would be embarrassing and teenagers don't take embarrassment well. But I tried one last time when I was in 4th year, didn't go that well but then I was sure I loved singing and I could never part with my videoke.

So what is it that I like about Music. I don't really love the music itself. I love the different voices of the singers. Especially strong steel-like voices. I could never stop myself from listening. Pink is my all-time favorite. I love her gruffy voice when she hits the high notes. It's pure rock and kick ass! It makes my blood hot and running and I always end up slamming in my room. Kelly Clarkson. She's the reason I stashed Pink but only for a while. She has this strong voice that can never be broken and extremely high that I'd have to cut my throat to reach it. The best one was 'Behind These Hazel Eyes'. I sang that during the Battle of the Bands. Damn, it gave us the trophy of the champions! In your face official school band who think they're the only ones with the band talent! That was the best day especially when I saw them sulking their heads. Priceless! Anyway I also love Taylor Swift, her sweet, sultry ( I think) voice relaxes my heart and mind. I love her lyrics and how her song is interpreted. It really speaks to you, meaning her songs can really reach to you. Then there's Katy Perry. I didn't like her at first but when I heard her Thinking Of You wow, I can't stop listening to it because I can really relate to it. Then I heard the 'Firework' song and that's when I really started loving her. Of course there's also Rihana and Kesha and a lot more.

I was riding in my cousin's car and we were on our way to the mall. I saw this guy with headphones and a t-shirt that says 'There is no cure for music addiction'. I tried thinking and what the heck. Who would want to cure music addiction? If love is the spark of life, music is the treatment to life wrecked by love.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 annotations:

Post a Comment